Carbon Monoxide: Take the Proper Steps to Detect There are a lot of potential gases that may exist in your house. Natural gas, radon, and gases and vapors that can come from such items as household furnishings, carpeting, flooring and paints. But nothing is as harmful as carbon monoxide. Carbon monoxide is potentially a matter of life and death, so it’s not something to joke about. This toxic gas is colorless, odorless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating. A by-product of burnt fuel, carbon monoxide can manuveur its way into your home when the heat exchanger on a gas furnace cracks, allowing carbon monoxide to leak. Depending on the size of the leak and the circulation in a home, carbon monoxide can become fatal in a matter of minutes, or it could cause symptoms that have been misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections, and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other things. It is important to not risk carbon monoxide poisoning. Here are some steps you can take: If you do not currently have a carbon monoxide detector in your house, call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning in Shreveport to purchase one. Ask our technicians about affordable WiFi carbon monoxide detectors like the Nest Protect. If you have a carbon monoxide detector, don’t forget to check the batteries on a regular basis. Testing should be done every three months, and the detector should be replaced every 3 to 5 years. If you hear the carbon monoxide detector alarm go off, or start having some of the symptoms listed above, ask your doctor to test for carbon monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be scary and with the proper steps you can be certain to receive alerts if there is any sign of carbon monoxide. Take the necessary steps and call Service Experts in Shreveport at 318-588-8163 to learn more.