How Do You Test for Carbon Monoxide?

There are a multitude of vapors that could be in your Shreveport home. Natural gas and vapors that originate from residential furniture, flooring and paints. None of these fumes are as hazardous as carbon monoxide.

Reach Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning at 318-588-8163 today to begin defending your family against this toxic gas.

Why is Carbon Monoxide so Poisonous?

Carbon monoxide might be an emergency, so it’s not a thing to joke about.

1. You Can’t See It

Carbon monoxide is so unsafe because you aren’t able to view it, sense it with your nose or detect it with your taste buds. It doesn’t cause irritation in little doses and can’t be filtered.

2. It Can Be Deadly in Just a Few Minutes

Carbon monoxide is a byproduct of used fuel. It can creep into your home during the winter if the heat exchanger on your gas furnace fails. Depending on how large the leak is and the airflow in a house, the gas may become lethal in just a few minutes.

Once breathed in, carbon monoxide has a half-life of around five hours. If you are breathing fresh air, it requires five hours to get it out of your system. It will take an additional five hours to decrease that amount by half.

3. Carbon Monoxide Reaction Can Mirror Other Illnesses

It may also mimic conditions that can be misdiagnosed as the flu, viral infections and chronic fatigue syndrome, among other illnesses.

How to Defend Your Residence from Carbon Monoxide

There’s no point to take a chance with carbon monoxide poisoning.

Here are three ways you can take to keep your home safe:

  1. Your house with at least one gas furnace, connected garage or fireplace requires a carbon monoxide system. You should have an alarm on each level of your house, including the basement and garage. You also should install one inside or outside of all bedrooms. Aren’t using a carbon monoxide detector in your house?
    Call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning at 318-588-8163 to get one. Ask our Experts about our reasonable Wi-Fi carbon monoxide alarms.
  2. If you presently have a carbon monoxide system, consistently test or replace the batteries. You should test batteries every three months, and replace the alarm every three to five years.
  3. If your carbon monoxide system goes off, exit your home immediately and call 911.

Keep Your Family Safe with Help from Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning

Carbon monoxide doesn’t have to be scary, and with the right precautions your family can be protected from the hazardous gas. Take the necessary steps and call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning at 318-588-8163 to learn more.


Our Health and Safety Commitment
At Service Experts, our top priority is always the health and safety of our customers and team. We are following all COVID-19 (Coronavirus) public safety guidelines and adjusting our business practices as needed to ensure customer and employee wellbeing. As a precautionary measure, anyone working on behalf of Service Experts – including our technicians – is being asked to stay home for the recommended 14 day quarantine period if they are returning from out-of-country, have been exposed to a presumptive or confirmed case, or are feeling unwell. We are providing our technicians and other field employees with additional health and safety guidance to assist in keeping our customers and employees safe. Please be prepared to answer brief health and safety questions with our representative. We will continue to monitor the situation and will adjust our business practices as required. We recognize that this may be a particularly stressful time and want you to know that, we are committed to serving you and making your experience as easy as possible.