Hearing strange noises when your air conditioner is working? There's probably something wrong with your unit. If you ignore it, it could lead to significant—and expensive—troubles down the road. We're going to help you find out what’s going on with your air conditioner and what you can do to fix it.
8 Common Air Conditioning Noises
- Gurgling - Gurgling usually indicates an issue with your refrigerant line. If you can't determine where the noise is coming from, that's alright. A technician can help determine where this noise is occurring. You can learn more information on our gurgling noises guide.
- Crackling - Crackling could come from debris in the unit or aging ductwork. Debris in the outdoor unit will cause a noise outside your house. Aging ductwork can create noise inside your house. Check out our crackling noise guide for more information.
- Hissing - Hissing can come from a faulty refrigerant line, an internal valve leak or the compressor. Check out our hissing noise guide for more info.
- Buzzing - Buzzing is no doubt an electrical issue. Read our buzzing noise guide for more information.
- Clicking - Clicking can hint you have a loose part or that the fan is misaligned. You can check out more information in our clicking noise guide.
- Pulsating - Pulsating can come from a loose part. Take a look at our pulsating noise guide for more information.
- Loud Noise - A noticeable noise from your external unit can indicate an issue with your compressor, damper, fan or air handler. Look at our loud noise guide for more information.
- Humming - Humming can arise from fan motor issues or a damaged relay switch. Read through our humming noise guide for more information.
You can find additional information about frequent air conditioning troubles on energy.gov
Should I keep operating my AC when it’s making a noise?
There are limited cases where you can continue to run your AC, but you do so at your own risk. It's difficult to answer this question without inspecting your system.
In most cases, we recommend turning the unit off and bringing in a professional.
When should I do something about the noise?
We recommend calling a professional as soon as you recognize there's a problem with your system. While AC repairs can be stressful and an unexpected cost, it's smart to get problems fixed right away. Calling a professional could help minimize future expenses and keep your system running longer.
Not sure if your air conditioner is making any of these noises? Please fill out the form below for a free, in-home consultation.