When rough weather comes around, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot of repercussions. Staying safe and protecting your home are your highest priorities, but did you know there are opportunities for you to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm passes, your AC repair technician will give you the a-okay?
Taking even a few moments to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm strikes can help you prevent damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you schedule for an AC repair expert to check your system afterwards, they can possibly provide you with good news that your preparations worked.
At Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for severe weather, and time likely will not give you much notice, so we’ve put together a list of what you can do before and after a severe weather event happens.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are typical during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to make sure it is fully off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover has the ability to keep away any debris that gets thrown around during threatening weather. Just make sure you have turned the system completely off in advance of covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Ensure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a safe place so that they don’t get thrown around during the storm.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to go back out of your home, make sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you see any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly look at your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in Shreveport, but we have to be prepared if we want the best chance to avoid any major damage or other issues that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for threatening weather in Shreveport or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has passed, give us a call at 318-588-8163 or schedule an appointment with Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.