When rough weather heads our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a big impact. Staying safe and protecting your home are your highest priorities, but did you know there are opportunities for you to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm is over, your AC repair technician will give you the a-okay?
Taking even a few moments to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm comes can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you schedule for an AC repair professional to check your system after the storm, they can possibly provide you with good news that your preparations paid off.
At Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning, we recognize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for bad weather, and time may not give you much warning, so we’ve put together a few tips of what you can do before and after a severe weather event occurs.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are common during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to make sure it is fully off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover has the ability to keep away any debris that gets thrown around during threatening weather. Just be sure you have turned the system fully off in advance of covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Make sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are stored in a secure place so that they don’t get tossed about during the bad weather.
- Clear the debris. Once it is alright to return out of your home, make sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you see any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly look at your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is necessary.
Of course we all hope that threatening weather doesn’t hit us in Shreveport, but we have to be prepared if we want the best chance to avoid any major damage or other issues that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prep for threatening weather in Shreveport or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has passed, give us a call at 318-588-8163 or schedule an appointment with Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning through our online scheduler.