Each year over 20,000 people end up in the ER because of carbon monoxide poisoning. The odorless, colorless gas is referred to as the silent killer because it’s practically undetectable without a carbon monoxide detector.
Carbon monoxide, as confirmed by the CDC, is produced by fireplaces, boilers, furnaces, stoves, and gas ranges so it only makes sense that carbon monoxide poisoning rises during the colder months when people are trying to warm their homes. To help keep you safe, Service Experts Heating & Air Conditioning is here with some tips to safety keep your home heated.
- Install a CO detector on every floor of your home and change the batteries every year.
- Keep all possible sources of combustion, such as paper, clothing, bedding, or rugs, a minimum of three feet away from space heaters, stoves, furnaces or fireplaces.
- Before starting a fire in the fireplace, always check to verify the chimney damper is open and unblocked.
- Do not leave portable heaters or fireplaces neglected. Power off space heaters and be sure all embers in the fireplace are fully extinguished before leaving either heating source unattended.
- Space heaters should always be placed on the floor, and on a hard, nonflammable surface, like ceramic tile. Keep children and animals away from space heaters.
- When purchasing a new space heater, purchase a model that powers off automatically if the heater falls over.
- Don’t use a oven to increase the temperature in your home.
- Have wood and coal stoves, fireplaces, chimneys and gas or oil furnaces professionally checked and cleaned every year.
The best thing you can do for your furnace is to make sure it’s not only up to the task of keeping your home warm all winter but also safe, is to schedule your heating tune-up. During your furnace tune-up, Service Experts will check to be sure your heating equipment is operating safely with a full multi-point inspection and cleaning. Call 318-588-8163 today and find out how you can save on a furnace tune-up through November 25th.